If you’re considering joining the health sector because you’re drawn to a line of work with compassion and patience at its core, then medical assisting at San José City College is the perfect choice for you.
This is even true if you’re still deciding about the specifics of your occupational goals. Because starting out at SJCC will secure your success, no matter what your health career objectives. We offer a variety of affordable options for certificates and AS Degrees and we are committed to excellence. So, let’s explore why medical assisting is a great choice, and why SJCC’s programs are certain to accelerate your career.
Medical Assisting is Guaranteed to Open Doors for Health Careers
When people think of SJCC, they should think of careers, because that’s the path we offer our students. We know that choosing medical assisting likely comes from a place of kindness and generosity — but it’s also your career we’re talking about.
It’s important to be aware of the many professional benefits that medical assisting offers. Here are some of the ways that any of our medical assisting programs will help advance your career.
- You’ll be able to start working fast. Any of the certificate programs can be completed in less than a year, so it’s a speedy professional choice if you want to take the leap.
- Your skills and abilities are guaranteed to be in high demand. In 2019, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that the projected rate of national growth for medical assisting jobs over the next ten years is 19% (nearly 5 times that of other jobs).
- You can begin a longer career path with an Associate’s Degree. It’s very common to go from medical assisting to nursing. So if you’re more interested in becoming a nurse and/or college transfer student to earn a Bachelor of Science in Nursing, it’s a great place to start. You’ll knock out lots of the prerequisites so you can hit the ground running as you pursue your longer-term goal.
For detailed medical assistant salary info and additional nursing salary statistics — check out salary.com or the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. These fluctuate depending on location, so be sure to take location into account.
Medical Assistant Education at SJCC — Programs and Career Pathways
When you decide to pursue one of the medical assisting programs at SJCC, you’re not signing up for a traditional program. It’s a modern program that can be customized to meet your specific needs, designed to fit each individual student.
Fundamental to this goal is a set of diverse offerings, so you’re sure to find the right path for you.
Administrative — Certificate of Achievement Level 3
Clinical — Certificate of Achievement Level 3
Administrative and Clinical — Certificate of Achievement Level 3
Administrative — Associate in Science
Clinical — Associate in Science.
We also provide our students with additional services that aren’t offered at other campuses. Assistance unique to the SJCC Medical Assisting Program includes the following:
- Externship Placement — Students don’t have to take on the added responsibility of finding an externship.
- Job Development Specialist — Staff helps students with their resumes and interview skills until they successfully land a job. And SJCC’s programs have such a great reputation that members of San Jose’s health community often seek out the program’s leaders for their medical assistant hiring needs.
- SJCC Community Support — All students can take advantage of student support programs like EOPS and METAS, participate in student life, and athletics.
After students complete one or more of these programs, they are prepared to become a Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) through the American Association of Medical Assistants. For more information, check out SJCC’s Medical Assisting Page.
SJCC Offers Flexible and Supportive Medical Assistant Training Programs
One of the best things about SJCC is that we meet students where they are.
Dedicated faculty member, Dr. Jagrup Kahlon, M.D. (seen in the video below), is one of the greatest advocates for students in Medical Assisting Programs. So it’s no surprise that she stresses the importance of a program customized to each individual’s needs.
Kahlon says, “The Medical Assisting program here at San José City College is a very flexible program. We cater to our students’ schedule, to their needs, so at the end, they’re successful.”
This student-centered philosophy is widespread in all medical assisting programs. Students can join in Spring, Summer, or Fall semesters. And they can choose to study part-time or full-time, in the morning or in the evening.
Graduates go on to pursue diverse career pathways in the health field. And since students often build a strong sense of community during their time in the program, they are usually happy to share their personal victories.
Maritza Gonzalez Garcia (AS Degree in Medical Assisting — Clinical, 2020) said, “My experience at SJCC gave me the preparation to successfully transition into a career as a Medical Assistant.” And Carolina Evaristo Hernandez, (Certificates in Medical Assisting — Administrative and Clinical, 2020) spoke about her long-term career goals. “Thanks to the Medical Assisting Program, I’ve set my major to pursue a nursing career.”
Medical Assisting at SJCC Means a Guaranteed Health Career
It’s easy to feel great about choosing medical assisting at SJCC, because you’ll be joining a program that’s dedicated to helping you thrive. We offer one of the best medical assisting programs out there. So whichever certificate or degree you choose, you can be certain that you’ll receive comprehensive support from a team of trustworthy instructors, professionals, and specialists.
At SJCC an encouraging community will always have your back. We’ll help you unleash your brilliance and make sure you achieve your health career goals.
So don’t be afraid to get in touch with medical assisting at SJCC and take the first step on your health career path!
Follow San José City College!